Car accidents are more and more frequent every day, especially in congested cities such as New York; it only takes a moment of distraction or negligence for the accident to occur. In these cases, claims can become complicated due to paperwork and the battle against insurance companies during the settlement process, therefore, you need the best available attorney.
Reaching a settlement might be hard because many entities can be at fault for the accident and there may be many factors involved You might be experiencing push-back from your insurance company to recover basic personal insurance protective coverage. At Proner & Proner we have the knowledge, resources, and reputation to help you get the best settlement offer for your case.
Here are the first steps and considerations after having a car accident
- Refrain from signing any document or from accepting anything from the insurance company without your attorney present and try to avoid admitting
- Call 911. The police will gather evidence and make a formal report of the accident, which be required for your claim.
- Take pictures of the accident scene from several points of view if you are in conditions to do it, otherwise you can ask someone else to take them.
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you seem unharmed at that moment (remember that insurance companies will use any information to harm your case).
- Gather information from the witnesses and other drivers (from their insurance company and personal information)
- Keep medical bills and records, a copy of the police report and every other piece of information related to the car accident.
- Call a lawyer who specializes in car accidents, they will explain the entire process and fight to get the maximum compensation possible.
It is best to contact an experienced lawyer right away, since there are deadlines to be met and guidelines to be followed when presenting a car accident claim. In addition, by contacting an attorney as soon as possible, you avoid evidence being lost and witnesses’ statements from changing.
Next steps to take along with your attorney
- You will need to gather the required documents including the medical record and the police report. Your attorney will submit them for claim processing.
- In most cases, your attorney will negotiate a settlement with the other parties involved and your case will not have to go through trial.
- If a settlement is reached, the parties will drop the lawsuit, write down and sign an agreement, and this will mean a guaranteed payout for you.
For all of these steps, it is important to have your attorney with you to explain legal clauses on the settlement and win the maximum amount possible.
Remember that the amount you receive from the settlement will vary according to how much each party was at fault for the accident, how much evidence is there for fault and damages, insurance coverage, medical bills, physical injuries, etc.
In case that a settlement cannot be reached, your attorney will have to present and defend your case in front of a jury, it is therefore essential for you to have a trustworthy and capable attorney who can get the benefits you deserve. At Proner & Proner, we have experienced, capable attorneys who will fight for your rights and get you the best settlement for your case. Remember that we offer a free consultation. Give us a call at 1800 321 1234 or contact us through online contact form
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.