New York Road Construction Site Fatalities on the Rise
The Center for Construction Research and Training (CPWR) recently released new statistics that show that fatalities at road construction sites are on the rise. Between the years of 2011 and 2016, the number of fatalities at road construction sites was 532. That is more than twice the number of fatalities of all other industries combined.
The CPWR noted that more than half of the 532 fatalities from that time period were caused by construction workers being struck by vehicles or mobile equipment. The report from the CPWR also notes that more than 75% of all the workers killed from 2011 to 2016 were employed in the bridge, street, and highway subsector of the industry.
Dangers Poses at Road Construction Sites in New York City, NY
Some of the other findings from the CPWR report are as follows:
- The highest fatality rate per 100,000 came in the crossing guard category at 40.9 per 100,000 employees.
- After a period-low of 72 road construction worker deaths in 2013, the number skyrocketed to 103 in 2016. This equates to a 43 percent jump in construction accident fatalities.
- Between the years of 2003 and 2016, there were a total of 1,269 roadside construction worker deaths. This accounts for nine percent of all construction deaths each year.
- The most fatal months for roadside construction workers are October at 12.8 percent and June at 12.2 percent.
The CPWR report also noted ideas for improving the safety of roadside construction workers. Some of the ideas include the following:
- Creating positive barriers between traffic and workers.
- Providing better signage and increasing the visibility of the workers.
- Enforcing the required speed reduction through construction zones.
- Using warning systems for construction workers and drivers.
- Rerouting traffic or closing roads completely when available.
Contact an Experienced New York Construction Site Accident Attorney Today
Have you been seriously injured at a highway construction site in NYC, the Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn? Did you lose a loved one due to an accident at a New York roadside construction project? If so, it’s time to contact the office of Proner & Proner. Our skilled attorneys are prepared to assist you with your legal matter and help you get the compensation you deserve. Call (212) 500-1003 or fill out the online form to schedule a consultation. We have an office conveniently located at 60 East 42nd St, Suite 1448, New York, NY 10165. We also have offices in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.