After being in business for over 60 years, Proner & Proner has dealt with countless motorcycle accident cases in New York City. Although we have seen a lot of unique cases, most clients come to us with accidents that have consistently similar circumstances and causality. As a motorcycle rider, you should be aware of the dangers that could put you at risk for a motorcycle accident, as well as the steps you can take to prevent these accidents in the first place. You can also find out if your case is something we have consistently received quality settlements for in the past. Email Proner & Proner today for a free consultation, or call us at our NYC office.
Get Advice From An Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
The Dangers That Motorcycle Riders Face In New York
Motorcycles are a lot smaller than cars and trucks, which makes riders less obvious on the road and more susceptible to experiencing a motor vehicle accident. Being smaller not only decreases the visibility of the rider, but also means that in an accident, impact will be much more serious for the motorcycle rider. Natural laws of force say that an equal and opposite force will be applied to the motorcyclist from the car and vice versa.
A motorcycle does not surround its riList Of Common Causes Of NYC MA motorcycle does not surround its rider on all sides, meaning that there is greater risk for the rider being sent flying after impact. Additionally, lack of seatbelts, airbags, and other safety features that cars usually have can increase the risk of serious injury in a motorcycle crash. Although wearing a helmet can definitely help prevent injury (especially neck and brain injuries), it does not negate the extra risks that motorcycle riders take.
List Of Common Causes Of NYC Motorcycle Accidents
There are a wide variety of dangers on the road and ways that people can get into motorcycle accidents. This is a list of some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in New York City:
- Speeding: Motorcyclists can feel the wind, hear the rev of the engine, and enjoy fast speeds. When those speeds exceed the posted limits on the road, the results can be deadly.
- Alcohol Consumption: DUIs happen with great frequency in NYC, especially at night and on weekends.
- Left-Hand Turns: Motorcyclists often end up in another motorist’s blind spot.
- Lane Splitting: Due to impatient riders and the small size of motorcycles, some riders try to drive in between cars to pass.
- Road Hazards and Debris: Small vehicles are more affected by debris and hazards on the road.
- High-Performance Motorcycles and Risk Taking: Some motorcyclists take unnecessary risks and engage in dangerous behavior such as racing.
Prevention Of Devastating Motorcycle Accidents In New York City
If you want to avoid a future motorcycle accident, it is important to know the common causes and take safety measures. The attorneys at Proner & Proner believe that the following list of behaviors will drastically reduce motorcycle accidents in NYC. These precautions include:
- Drive only when your body is free of alcohol and drugs that cause impairment.
- Follow speeding laws and don’t be encouraged by aggressive and fast drivers.
- Assume that people can’t see you or that you are in a blind spot and ride accordingly.
- Exercise caution during left turns and merging scenarios.
- Always wear a helmet and non-baggy clothing.
- Keep your eye on the road at all times to avoid debris and poor drivers.
- Remember that having a high-performance vehicle doesn’t mean you can always use its high performance features safely.
You can’t always prevent a motorcycle accident from happening to you, as you are only in control of your own driving behaviors. Regardless, not being another reckless driver on the road will significantly reduce your risk.