Pharmacy and Medication Error Lawyers in NYC
Representing Victims of Pharmaceutical Malpractice
Pharmacy and medication errors, as our New York City personal injury attorney can attest, are among the most dangerous of all medical errors. The prescription of the incorrect medication or the incorrect dosage for a given patient can turn even a simple illness into a nightmare for the victim and his or her family. In the most tragic cases, pharmacy and medication errors can result in wrongful death.
The medical malpractice attorneys of Proner & Proner have represented injured victims throughout New York in cases involving serious pharmacy and medication errors. Our New York City law firm can help you if you or a member of your family has been the victim of pharmaceutical malpractice. Please contact our personal injury law firm to schedule an evaluation of your case today.
Common Medication Errors
Most patients do not question the medication administered or prescribed to them by medical professionals. This trust in the healthcare system is generally rewarded; however, when medication errors do occur, the results are often devastating. Common medication errors include:
- Dosage errors (either over- or under-dosing)
- Prescription or administration of the incorrect medication (often due to a misdiagnosis)
- Defects in medical devices designed to regulate medication
- Writing errors or illegible handwriting by the prescribing physician
- The prescription of contraindicated medications (usually the result of a failure to collect or read the patient’s complete medical history, including current conditions and medications)
- Errors in patient instructions
Common Pharmacy Errors
In some medication error cases, the incident of malpractice occurs not with the physician or hospital staff but with the pharmacist. Common pharmacy errors include:
- Dispensing errors, such as the issuance of the incorrect medication or the correct medication in the incorrect dosage
- The misinterpretation of the prescribing doctor’s handwriting or instructions by a pharmacy worker
- The failure of pharmacy staff to instruct a patient on the usage of a medication
- Placement of the incorrect label on a medication container
The Frequency of Injuries Due to Pharmacy and Medication Errors
Unfortunately, instances of medical malpractice stemming from pharmacy and medication errors in New York and throughout the United States are not rare. According to a report published by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, approximately 1.5 million preventable injuries occur each year in the United States due to medication errors. Of these injuries, roughly 400,000 occur in the seemingly safe and trustworthy hospital environment due to hospital errors.
Victims who take legal action against negligent healthcare professionals protect not only their own interests but also the interests of others. By sending the message that medical malpractice is intolerable, victims and their families help to ensure that hospitals and pharmacies will take greater care in prescribing and administering medication in the future.
Learn More about Pharmacy and Medication Errors
If you or a member of your family has been harmed by pharmacy and medication errors, our New York City personal injury lawyers would like to speak to you. Contact Proner & Proner today to learn more about your legal rights and options.