If there is a dispute about who is responsible, someone must carefully investigate an accident, work out who is to blame, and find the evidence to prove it. The defendant will be trying to undermine the victim’s case. For an accident victim or their family, all of this is stressful.
This is a brief guide to what to expect when seeking compensation for an injury. Over the years, Proner & Proner has guided thousands of clients through the legal process, and we are waiting to help you. If you or a family member has been injured, contact us.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you have grounds for filing a personal injury claim, you have two basic options:
- File a lawsuit in court
- Try to settle the case informally
If you file a lawsuit, you will need to take the following steps:
- You should contact our firm to schedule a free case evaluation. You should do so as soon as possible after your accident, since there is a time limit for filing a personal injury claim.
- If we determine that you have a case, we will begin the process of collecting evidence (such as witnesses’ testimonies, physical evidence, and photographs of the accident scene).
- We will file the paperwork needed to start a lawsuit.
- Even after you file a lawsuit, you can still settle your case. Many lawsuits are settled before trial. Hiring experienced lawyers can help to get you a better settlement, because insurance companies will know your lawyers are not afraid to take a case to trial.
- If the case goes to trial, we will present this evidence to a judge, who will consider our claims, as well as those of the defense, in determining liability.