What should I do if I’ve been in a Motorcycle Accident in New York
If you have been involved in a motorcycle crash, you already know how devastating the consequences can be. A serious motorcycle accident can put a person’s physical and financial well-being in jeopardy. Accident scenes are chaotic, and it can be difficult to think and act decisively and rationally. If you have been involved in an accident, our motorcycle crash attorneys in Manhattan, New York can help you through this most difficult time. If you are a biker who has never been in a serious accident, we invite you to learn more about what you can do if the unspeakable ever happens to you.
What to Do after a Motorcycle Crash
After a motorcycle crash, the attorneys of our New York law firm advise you to….
- Make sure everyone at the scene is okay. The first thing you should do after an accident, if you are able to move, is make sure everyone at the scene receives appropriate medical attention. If anyone is injured, call medical services immediately.
- If possible, move away from the roadway to a safe location but stay at the scene of the motorcycle crash. Use hazard lights, warning triangles, or flares to alert oncoming traffic.
- Exchange vital information with other drivers involved in the motorcycle accident. Get the name, address, phone number, and license numbers for all drivers and witnesses. Ask for the insurance companies and policy numbers for drivers involved in the motorcycle crash. Note plate numbers, car makes, models, colors, and descriptions.
- If damage exceeds $500 or if anyone is injured, call the police and file an accident report. Accidents rarely involve damages less than $500, and chances of an injury during a motorcycle crash are increased due to the motorcyclist’s exposure. Injuries are often not immediately apparent – neck and back injuries often become evident days or weeks after the accident occurred.
- If you think you may be injured, go to the hospital. If you are offered medical attention but do not accept it and later – after the adrenaline subsides – feel increasing pain and seek restitution for your injuries, insurance companies will likely assume they are being conned and will try to deny your claim. If offered, do not refuse medical attention after a motorcycle crash.
- Make a note of all important information about the accident – the location of the accident, road conditions, speed limits, weather, lighting, the direction of travel of the vehicles involved in the accident, and what the cars were doing at the time of the collision. Interview all witnesses and record their comments either at the scene of the accident or as soon after as possible. Memories quickly fade; get as much information as you can immediately following the motorcycle crash.
- Photograph the accident scene if possible.
- Get a copy of the police report. You will need it for your claim. Accident reports typically are available about 10 business days after the motorcycle crash. Review the police report to be sure that it generally coincides with your recollection of the accident.
- Contact a lawyer. The motorcycle crash attorneys at Proner & Proner in Manhattan take on accident lawsuits throughout New York and the rest of the nation. We can investigate and reconstruct the motorcycle accident and help you understand and protect your rights.
If You Are in a Motorcycle Crash, DO:
- Call 911 for police and emergency medical service (EMS) assistance.
- Render any assistance you are able to, including medical aid if qualified.
- Write down the name, address, phone number, and insurance information of the other driver(s).
- Write down the make, model, year, and license plate number of the other vehicle(s).
- Give the other driver(s) your name, address, phone, and insurance information.
- Try to identify any possible witnesses to the motorcycle crash. Try to get their names, addresses, and telephone numbers. If they do not want to get involved, take down their car license plate number and state.
If You Are in a Motorcycle Crash, DO NOT:
- Make any statement about what happened to anyone other than a police officer.
- Apologize to the other driver(s) for what happened, no matter who is at fault.
- Sign anything in writing by the other driver purporting to summarize the facts of the accident.
- Argue with the other driver(s) about what happened.
- Have your bike repaired until you speak with motorcycle crash attorneys who can have the bike inspected and photographed and provide the insurer or defense attorney notice and an opportunity to inspect the bike.
Contact the lawyers at Proner & Proner if you have been in a motorcycle crash. Our attorneys in New York will aggressively litigate your case and allow you to focus on recovery.
Why Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Motorcycle crashes involve specific areas of state and insurance laws and regulations, so it is important that you contact a knowledgeable motorcycle accident lawyer immediately in the event of a crash. Attorneys can mediate between accident victims and the insurance companies. Motorcycle crash attorneys can help to ensure that evidence is preserved and witnesses are interviewed. They can also make sure that you receive proper medical care and document your injuries so that you can present the strongest legal case possible.
Contact Our Motorcycle Crash Attorneys
If you have been injured in a serious motorcycle accident, contact Proner & Proner today to speak with our experienced motorcycle crash attorneys, based in Manhattan, New York and serving the entire United States, about your case. We provide aggressive legal representation to injured bikers in their time of need.