Brain Injury Attorneys in New York City
Traumatic brain injury is far more common than people realize. Some kinds of brain injuries go unnoticed for weeks or even months after an accident. And the costs of caring for someone with a serious brain injury are astronomically high.
If there is any chance that you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury after an accident, do not take a quick insurance settlement. Contact an attorney experienced in brain injury cases and have your case looked at carefully.
Common Causes of Brain Injury in New York Accidents
Brain injuries can be caused in many ways. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these are the most common causes of brain injuries:
- Falls (41 percent of all brain injuries) are the most common cause of brain injury. The elderly are most at risk, but falls can also happen in the workplace, such as on construction sites.
- Being struck by or against an object (16 percent). Again, these injuries can happen in the workplace due to employer negligence.
- Motor vehicle crashes (14 percent). Common auto accidents involve motor vehicles, motorcycles, bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Assaults (11 percent). Tragically, being physically attacked is a leading cause of brain injury.
- Others (19 percent). Another major cause of brain injury is hypoxia (lack of oxygen). Hypoxia during the birthing process can cause conditions such as cerebral palsy in babies.
In 2010, about 2.2 million people were diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after an emergency room visit. Traumatic brain injury contributed to the deaths of 50,000 people.
Signs of Brain Injury
Some brain injuries are obvious, but many are not. It can sometimes take days or weeks, or even longer, for the full extent of a brain injury to be clear.
You should be on the lookout for signs of brain injury whenever a person has been hit on the head. After an accident, a person can also suffer brain injury due to sudden acceleration or deceleration. These can cause movement of the brain inside the skull, leading to serious brain injury.
The CDC provides a list of potential symptoms of a brain injury:
- Difficulty thinking clearly, concentrating or remembering information
- Feeling “slow” or tired and having no energy
- Headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, nausea
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Problems with balance
- Being irritable or sad, or more emotional
- Being more nervous or anxious
- Sleeping much more than usual, or having trouble sleeping
If you or someone you love has been in an accident and is showing any of these symptoms, get medical treatment immediately.
Costs Involved in a Brain Injury
A brain injury can result in terribly high costs for victims and their families:
- Days, weeks or even months of hospital care
- Extensive rehabilitation to help victims regain basic abilities like speaking or movement
- Lifetime nursing care and doctor’s visits
- Care by family members
- Inability for victims to provide financially for their families
Because of the high costs of caring for someone with a brain injury, it is critical that you get all the compensation you’re entitled to after an accident.
Free Consultation with Skilled Brain Injury Attorneys at NYC Law Firm of Proner & Proner
If you or a loved one may have suffered a brain injury in an accident, contact us today for a free consultation. We are very experienced in handling brain injury cases, and we are waiting to help you. Read more brain injury FAQ’s.